Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

April 10, 2012

A Good Friday at Bluesfest

Full moon over Bluesfest, as always
Last year when I went down to Byron Bay on the Tuesday, to see Bob Dylan play, the weather was terrible and the grounds were just one big mud puddle.
But this year Good Friday lived up to its name.
In fact, I would even go as far as to call it Great Friday;-)
Looking out from the food hall/tent
The organizers could not have asked for a better day.
And since I'm writing this post up on the Monday, before heading down once more, I can say the weather has been perfect all weekend and hopefully that will continue right through to closing, tonight.
Blue skies for Bluesfest
I love the atmosphere at Bluesfest and there is always great talent to discover, whether it's old bands, or new bands and singers.
James Vincent McMorrow
For instance, I had time to wander around the big tops to checkout some performers I probably would not have bothered to see (because I didn't know who they were, or what they sounded like).
I stumbled across a singer by the name of
James Vincent McMorrow, and if you haven't heard of him
(like I hadn't), then you soon will, I would imagine.
James Vincent McMorrow
playing in one of the smaller tent
James Vincent McMorrow has a voice similar to James Blunt, to give you some idea.
Listen to the You Tubes above.
I'll bet I never see him play in a venue this small ever again.
As the full moon rose over Byron Bay, the big acts came out to play.
Oh, and Venus, too.
At least I think that was Venus.
It was the brightest 'star' in the sky. 
The night parade of luminous figures went past me, and I saw something that got my attention.
A goldfish swimming through the night sky!?! 
Then it was off to watch Buddy Guy
Buddy Guy on stage at Bluesfest 2012
If only I have this kind of energy at 75 years of age, if I am still around.
Buddy has been coming to Bluesfest regularly over the years, and is a huge crowd favourite, and it's not hard to see why, if you have ever seen him perform.
 Here's a funny thing, this clip (above) that I found on You Tube of Buddy Guy singing 
74 Years Young, was recorded on 23rd Sept, 2011, at the
Grove Theater, Anaheim,California, which was my 47th birthday (the reverse of 74).
Although, Buddy was already 75 at the time, which kind of wrecks the sync a little: -(
Crosby, Stills and Nash playing Bluesfest 2012
Then it was time for the big act of the night ... that's if you don't count Earth,Wind and Fire, who were playing in the other tent. 
Old rockers fading away ...
or a bad photographer at his trade?-)
Crosby, Stills and Nash.
Man, these guys can still rock out solidly.
It was a pleasure and an honour hearing them play.
I wish my sons could have been there on the night to catch this show to see and hear the music I was brought up listening to.
Nothing like a bit of nostalgia, is there?-)
Speaking of nostalgia, I also got to see Steve Earl play  
Copperhead Road
A Good Friday I'm sure to remember for the rest of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour - and sunshine too! Good to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great tour. Thsnks, Daz. I feel like I'm walking around Brisbane with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Byron Bay is a little town over 100 miles south of Brisbane,and in another state.
      This seaside town is nothing like Brisbane really,I'm sorry to say Trish.

      Delete