Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

August 6, 2013

Michael Leunig at the BBWF

Michael Leunig was at the second talk I attended at the 
Byron Bay Writers Festival on the weekend and he was the last author that I saw as I left the festival on the final day.
I bought the above two books of his and joined a long cue to have them signed, before hitting the road.
I asked Michael if he could draw a smiley face in one of the books,
as Steve Bisley had drawn a smiley face in my book at the insistence of his daughter, and I joked to Michael that I wanted to see if he was as good at drawing smiley faces as Steve was:-)
You can judge for yourself;-)
Sharknado?
Oddly enough, the book with the guy chasing his head with a butterfly net on the cover starts with the first cartoon of the main character setting off to sea in a rowboat with his duck and surrounded by sharks.
Sharknado?
Sharknado Sync
For Whom the Bell Tolls?
And the last panel in the book is a guy hanging out of a bell.
For Whom the Bell Tolls?
"For Whom the Bell Tolls"? 
Maybe it tolls for me?-)
Michael is a good cartoonist, but to be honest I had never read many of his cartoons before, as most of his work appeared in Melbourne and Sydney newspapers, and I live in Brisbane.
But I have read both of the above books and Googled a few more of his cartoons on the web and realized that I have missed some great work in my time.
Better late than never, I guess?

EGG - Michael Leunig

There are a lot of Pot-heads in Byron Bay, too;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment