Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

September 19, 2015

The Babadook ... or The Red Book?-)

I watched a movie called The Babadook a few nights ago after a sync-head friend, Johanna, told me it was one of the most scariest movies she has ever seen.
I wouldn't say it was a really scary movie, but it is definitely worth a watch considering it is a low budget Australian movie.
I found it very interesting on an archetypal level and I couldn't help thinking it was very Jungian with the Mister Babadook book being a predominately red book and all.
Whether the writer/director of The Babadook was influenced by Jung's Red Book, or not, I couldn't say, but on a synchromystic level at least I would have to say there are a lot of similarities indeed.
It's a thinking person's horror movie which I feel is a cross between Rosemary's Baby, The Shining and The Nightmare.
In fact, it is one of those movies that you could
analyze till the cows come home.
Click on book images to make bigger
The Babadook gliding through the air
Illustration from Jung's Red Book.
And on the subject of The Shining, and the Red Book, there is even a chapter on page 237 of The Red Book titled Descent into Hell in the Future
Written on the back cover of The Red Book
There is even a dartboard scene in The Babadook as well
Dartboard scene from the movie, The Shining
Flipside of the Dartboard
" A red stream of blood, thick red blood springs up, surging for a long time, then ebbing. 
I am seized by fear. 
What did I see?"
From the chapter starting on page 237 of Jung's Red Book
Descent into Hell in the Future.

Dartboards Again?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment