Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

December 22, 2015

The Theory of Everything ... Being Connected?

My glass chopping board that sits next to the kitchen sink
I just saw that Ailsa Piper (who I've written a few posts about on this blog over the years) -
The Way To Byron Bay Via Spain
has a new post on her blog titled -
An offering. A gift.
Where she directs the reader to her newspaper article that she wrote for an Australian newspaper about Christmas, loss and love.
Ailsa writes,"I had thought I’d write a blog post for Christmas, but then was given the opportunity to pen a festive reflection for the Australian newspaper, so for now, all I’m going to do is direct you, via a simple click on this blue link, to that piece. I hope some part of it resonates with you."
The gift of Christmas past: love, loss and memories
Now, as you read through this post, bear in mind that Ailsa was an actress who was once a cast member of the Australian TV show Neighbours.
In the newspaper article Ailsa wrote,"The last book I gave Pete was not at Christmas
It was a slim notebook, with a quote from Audrey Hepburn on the cover: “Paris is always a good idea." 
Ailsa also writes,"When terrorists attacked the Parisian streets in November, I thought of how Pete would have written notes and letters to friends, finding phrases of consolation and hope. 
I sang La Marseillaise under my breath, thinking of all those families who had lost someone suddenly, violently, senselessly."
Funny thing for me was I bought a glass chopping board with the slogan, Paris is always a good idea. for my new unit earlier this year with the thought of doing some world traveling in the future now that I'm no longer married, and on my own.
But unlike Ailsa, the only French songs that came into my head were the songs from the Les Miserables soundtracknot La Marseillaise.
I was thinking of the song I Dreamed a Dream sung by Anne Hathaway from the movie that came out a few Christmases ago at the cinema.
But when I Googled trying to get songs from the movie Les Miserables, I got the song On My Own as the first one to come up for me, which I thought was appropriate considering the newspaper article and theme of being alone.
And then I found a song from the movie called Empty Chairs at Empty Tables, sung by this year's 'Best Actor' Oscar winner Eddie Redmayne, which seemed to go with Ailsa's setaments in this paragraph from her newspaper article, "I hope this year the French will hold to their tradition, though perhaps the name could be altered — they have had enough waking up. 
Brutal attacks on their liberty and lives must have left many struggling to find hope, wondering about the point of Christmas; perhaps thinking they can run away to somewhere remote, somewhere they won’t be obliged to observe rituals that will remind them of those they’ve lost."
Then while looking up about Eddie Redmayne's Oscar win this year, I found an article where he dedicated his Oscar win to growing up watching Neighbours, which Ailsa also was a part of -
Eddie Redmayne thanks ‘amazingNeighbours stars after Oscars win
"ON the biggest night of his life, Eddie Redmayne took the time to thank two Neighbours stars for helping him land his first Oscar.
Speaking to news.com.au after his win for Best Actor
The Theory of Everything star praised both Alan Fletcher 
(who stars as Dr Karl Kennedy) and Jackie Woodburne 
(who plays Susan Kennedy) on the long-running Aussie soap. 
“I think they’re amazing,” the 33-year-old said.
“I’m a huge fan of them from old. 
I’ve learnt a lot from them from watching them daily.”
Fletcher was equally appreciative: 
“To receive such generous praise from an actor of Eddie Redmayne’s startling ability and status has been thrilling for both of us.
“It never ceases to excite me to hear examples of the influence Neighbours has had beyond Australia
And congratulations Eddie for the recognition of your wonderful performance in The Theory of Everything.”"
Neighbours
I also couldn't help thinking of the Woody Allen movie about Paris and another old post I wrote about Paris when Midnight in Paris came out at the cinema, after reading this section of Ailsa's newspaper article, "At Christmas, many French attend midnight Mass before coming home for their big dinner. They call this meal le reveillon de Noel. It means “the wake-up” or “awakening”."
What is it About Paris?
And the movie poster for Midnight in Paris features Van Gogh's Starry Night as a backdrop and I couldn't help thinking how even the painter's own family line would be touched by senseless terrorism in this century, as well, with the great-grandson of Theo van Gogh, the brother of painter Vincent van Gogh (Theo van Gogh) getting killed in the streets of Holland. 
Theo van Gogh (film director)
 I also thought it was ironic that Ailsa mentions that she would celebrate Christmas with chocolate stars,"This Christmas, I hope to wake with the eyes of a newborn; to see the wonder of life while accepting that it also, inevitably, includes loss. 
I will open that journal I gave Pete and write down all the things for which I am thankful. Memories will be at the top of the list. 
I will cook tomatoes with onion and basil. I will have buttery toast and tea.
Then, with a bag of chocolate stars to share with friends, I will go out into the day."
Let's hope that this Christmas is a good one, with a prayer for peace and an end to senseless killings in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment