Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

December 21, 2016

Reality/Star?★

""New Killer Star" is a song written and performed by David Bowie in 2003 for his album Reality
This was the first single from his 23rd album.
While it is uncertain what the song is really about (like other Bowie songs), the lyrics make oblique reference to life in post-9/11 New York City
However, the video clip, directed by Brumby Boylston of National Television, tells a surreal story using lenticular-postcard like images of a spaceship almost crashing into the modern American heartland. 
Bowie himself said of the song: "I’m not a political commentator, but I think there are times when I’m stretched to at least implicate what’s happening politically in the songs that I’m writing. 
And there was some nod, in a very abstract way, toward the wrongs that are being made at the moment with the Middle Eastern situation. 
I think that song is a pretty good manifesto for the whole record."

New Killer Star
See the great white scar
Over Battery Park
Then a flare glides over
But I won't look at that scar
Oh my nuclear baby
Oh my idiot trance
All my idiot questions
Let's face the music and dance
Don't ever say I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready
I never said I'm better, I'm better, I'm better
Don't ever say I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready
I never said I'm better, I'm better, I'm better, I'm better than you
All the corners of the buildings
Who but we remember these
The sidewalks and trees
I'm thinking now
I got a better way
I discovered a star
I got a better way
Ready, set, go
I got a better way
A new killer star
I got a better way
Ready, set, go
I got a better way
The stars in your eyes
I got a better way
Ready, set, go
I got a better way
I discovered a star
I got…
Aerial view of Battery Park, 
Manhattan Island in New York City
"Battery Park is a 25-acre (10 ha) public park located at the Battery, the southern tip of Manhattan Island in New York City, facing New York Harbor
The area and park are named for the artillery batteries that were positioned there in the city's early years to protect the settlement behind them.
Toward the northwestern end of the park is Castle Clinton, the often repurposed last remnant of the defensive works which inspired the name of the park; the former fireboat station Pier A; and Hope Garden, a memorial to AIDS victims. 
At the other end of the park is Battery Gardens restaurant, next to the United States Coast Guard Battery Building
Along the waterfront, Statue Cruises offers ferries to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
The park is also the site of the East Coast Memorial which commemorates U.S. servicemen who died in coastal waters of the western Atlantic Ocean during World War II, and several other memorials. 
The SeaGlass Carousel, a site-specific attraction that is set to open on August 20, 2015, is designed to resemble an under-the-sea garden through which visitors ride on fish shimmering as though they were bioluminescentin homage not only to the carousel's waterfront site, but also to Castle Clinton, which housed the New York Aquarium in the early 20th century."
The lead character of his eighth studio album Diamond Dogs, Halloween Jack is a “real cool cat” who lives in the declining “Hunger City”."
Oh, and who wrote, 'The Hunger'?
Your face is a mess ... hot tramp/Trump you scare me so
"The US presidential race has dominated news and social media in the lead-up to the November 8 election, and it now has spilled over into the country's much-loved holiday — Halloween."
The American Merchant Mariners' Memorial
"On the album's title, Bowie said:
I feel that reality has become an abstract for so many people over the last 20 years. 
Things that they regarded as truths seem to have just melted away, and it's almost as if we're thinking post-philosophically now. 
There's nothing to rely on any more. 
No knowledge, only interpretation of those facts that we seem to be inundated with on a daily basis.
Knowledge seems to have been left behind and there's a sense that we are adrift at sea. 
There's nothing more to hold on to, and of course political circumstances just push that boat further out."
""Bring Me the Disco King" was originally recorded by Bowie back in 1992/93 during the studio sessions for his album Black Tie White Noise, but for reasons unknown was not released until it made an appearance on this album (in re-recorded form)."
""The Loneliest Guy" is a song written by David Bowie in 2003 for his album Reality
It's a slow-tempo minimalistic piece in which, according to James E. Perone, "Bowie's character also lives in denial: in spite of the shards of glass that he finds near his windows, the solitary life he lives, and 'all the pages that have turned,' he expresses the belief that he is not 'the loneliest guy' in the world, but, rather, 'the luckiest guy'."
The biographer also writes: "The slow, solemn pace of the piece, the long phrases sung with a slowly pulsing vibrato suggest a profound sadness.""
Reality is a very synchromystic album, it would seem to me, considering who the president of The USA is at the end of the year that Bowie leaves this world.
Kiss me OK,
I'm really a prince;-)
""Fall Dog Bombs the Moon" is an ugly song sung by an ugly man. 
So, it was definitely about corporate and military power."

2 comments:

  1. I've always figured that David Bowie wasn't from planet Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, If you wanted something close to a modern day prophet, then David Bowie seems to tick all the boxes.

    ReplyDelete