Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

April 9, 2017

Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World

I saw Werner Herzog's new movie 'Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World' yesterday and it is well worth a look, I think.
It's about the rise of the internet and its blessings and curses up until now and the foreseeable future.
It covers topics about internet rehab clinics, gamers who wear diapers and play video games for 36 hours straight, people who are allergic to electromagnetic radiation and have to live away from cell phone towers, internet trolls who taunt a family of a dead car crash victim and send them e-mails with pictures of their decapitated daughter (that's the family in the trailer who claims the internet is evil, which is their way of saying there are some real sick bastards out there using the net ... and in that way they are right) and heaps of other interesting topics about the internet and A.I. 
I saw this movie at the University of Queensland's Schonell theatre and while there was only about three people in the cinema during the screening, I had to compete with thousands of students for a car space, as exams were going on.
It was looking like there was no way I was going to get a car space close enough and in time for me to catch the start of the film, so I gave the universe an ultimatum that it either gives me a car spot in the next ten seconds, or I'm driving out of here and going for a walk ... and I was serious.
Next minute a car reverses out right in front of me and I got the spot and I got into the cinema just as the movie was starting.
So, the secret to getting a car space like you see that guy doing in 'The Secret' is not to ask the universe for a spot, but to give it an ultimatum it seems:-)
Jasper Jones starring Matt Nable as Sarge who I wrote about in this post -
Guilt
was playing after 'Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World', so I went and saw that, too, and it was a lot better than I thought it would be.
My son also used to be Levi Miller's mother's tutor at Apple to teach her and his agent how to use the Macs.
Afterwards I grabbed a pizza from the Pizza Cafe, had dinner and went home having seen two good movies, and having one good meal in one day.
All because a driver decided to leave the carpark just as I needed the space, right when I was prepared to drive away.
So, maybe everything is connected?
I was just glad to get back home, put my diaper on and hit the net for 36 hours.
Too bad that we don't have Internet addiction clinics in Australia ... I Googled around looking for one for hours and couldn't find any ... but it's not like I need one, right?-) 
Maybe I need to sign back up to Netflix, so I don't have to go to the cinema anymore?-)
Actually, if it wasn't for Alec Doomadgee telling me about screening his film at the Schonell cinema for Rob Thomas I probably would never have checked what was playing at the Schonell this week and missed out on seeing these two films.
Zach's Ceremony
So that was nearly three good movies I missed out on last week, if it wasn't for a bit of luck ... or maybe just plain old fate?

No comments:

Post a Comment