Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

May 7, 2012

Touch the Red Thread of Destiny

 The red string of fate, also referred to as the red thread of destiny, red thread of fate, and other variants, is an East Asian belief originating from Chinese legend and is also used in Japanese legend. 
According to this myth, the gods tie an invisible red string around the ankles of men and women who are destined to be soul mates and will one day marry each other. 
Often, in Japanese culture, it is thought to be tied around the little finger.
 
 I've always liked those red Kabbalah strings on some
unconscious level, but I've never thought the idea of being protected from the evil eye was a good enough reason to don one.
 But I must admit to liking the idea of red string tied around the little pinky to represent the idea of the red thread of destiny, or even the red thread of synchronicity. 
At least when people ask me why I wear the red string on my pinky I could explain how I believe that synchronicity guides my life to some extent and that I believe that there is a lot more to life than random chance.
 And it wouldn't be an airy fairy philosophy either, because I'm not suggesting by wearing it that I will be protected, like some guardian angel will watch over my every move 
(hey, that would be great, and I'm not complaining if one does) ...
just guided to whatever that I'm supposed to be here to do in this life. 
Take the You Tube clip below as an example.
 
But who's to say that there wasn't some greater reason for these two in the above clip to come together at that point in time and form a lasting partnership that may have solved many other problems for people's lives, even though they might never meet their benefactors in this life.
Maybe John Lennon and Paul McCartney met in this way?-)
Anyway, I love the idea of a "Red Thread of Destiny".
It's as good as a representation of Synchronicity as any scarab beetle could be, in my opinion.
I hadn't heard of this Chinese/Japanese myth until yesterday when I was listening to Barry Eaton's
I saw this poster at the Woodford Folkfest
and thought of the only Barry I know;-)
and he was talking about the show Touch and how they used the legend in the TV show opening.
I've since seen it (thanks for the reminder Barry) and love how they represent this old myth in the opening credits.
 
I saw this show yesterday for the first time and was blown away by it.
The thing is I wouldn't have watched this show yesterday if I hadn't of heard Barry talking about it on his Radio show.
My copy of The Outsider
The funny thing also was I have been reading Colin Wilson's book The Outsider and my goal was to finish reading it this weekend ... I still have about 100 pages to go, from this point in time.
In the radio interview Sandie Sedgbeer mentions Colin Wilson and one of his other books.
Even though she didn't mention The Outsider, what are the odds of her mentioning the author of the book that I'm holding in my hand reading ... sorry Barry, but I was listening as well, I was just trying to multitask, which is not a very smart thing to do for someone of my multitasking abilities.
Anyway, Sandie mentions Colin Wilson at about the 11:46 mark of the interview.
If she had of mentioned him at the 11:11 mark that would have really sent a shiver up my spine.
I decided to buy a copy of The Outsider after reading an interview with Colin in the above book/magazine The Gnostic 2
I also bought his latest book Super Consciousness after seeing a review of it in  
But since The Outsider was the first book that he wrote I decided to read that one first, to get an idea of where Colin Wilson was coming from, since I didn't know that much about him.
I've always considered myself an outsider anyway, so I thought it would be an interesting read.
At first I was disappointed, because it just seemed to be about perverts who liked looking up women's dresses, but then it started to hit its straps and give me the kind of outsiders I could identify with to some degree, like Van Gogh, Blake, Hemingway and co.
One thing I really liked about my copy of The Outsider was the cover work. 
A picture of what looks to be a drowning man's hand coming out of a dark ocean, and in the palm of that hand is a little white figure who is riding above the dark ocean in relative safety in that drowning man's hand.
Much like my Buddha statue sitting in the palm of a dark hand pictured below.
I find the image comforting, like it is expressing the feeling of an unseen hand of destiny at work, even when things seem to be at their darkest.
Not to say that everything is going to turn out the way we want, but the way it should be, and that there is an order and purpose to the chaos, even if we as humans can't see it from our perspective.
Getting back to the first episode of Touch though, I thought to myself that maybe the number sequence 318 might be of significance in my life as some synchronistic sequence of numbers leading me in the right direction, but I couldn't think of anything of significance involving those numbers in my life.
But then a thought from out of the blue came into my head to look and see who the artist was that designed the artwork for the cover of The Outsider
It's usually printed in fine print on the cover somewhere or just inside the book.
And there it was on the back coverCover design: Gray 318
Which to me is a sync that links me to the movie The Grey
The Grey/The Grays and the Triad
and the TV show Touch
Touchy Subject?
Oh, and the sync from the Illuminati card post below was that the Japanese girls in the show Touch were obsessed with a band called "The Morticians" and my blogging friend 
Jake Kotze had just written a post called

1 comment:

  1. I'm an admirer of the works of Colin Wilson - a fine mind plus he lives in Cornwall so that's a double plus.

    ReplyDelete