Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

February 25, 2013

Consider the Lobster

The first time I had heard of David Foster Wallace was when I had read his book, Consider the Lobster.
It was a book of short essays by David, one being about him covering a lobster festival he was to promote, but came away reflecting on how barbaric cooking lobsters where, hence the title of the book.
David's title essay is summed up in this paragraph from the Wiki article on his book -
"Originally published in the August 2004 issue of Gourmet magazine, this review of the 2003 Maine Lobster Festival generated some controversy among the readers of the culinary magazine.
The essay is concerned with the ethics of boiling a creature alive in order to enhance the consumer's pleasure, including a discussion of lobster sensory neurons. "
I loved the book and decided to order Wallace's novel Infinite Jest and The Girl with the Curious Hair, which both I am yet to read.
When I went to find out more about this promising writer after buying his books I found out he had committed suicide in 2008, by hanging himself.
Referring to my post below about Ayahuasca, I just wonder if David had have gone through the Ayahuasca experience whether it would of set his life in a more positive direction?
Temple of Fire Sync
This guy was a good writer, but I think he was only getting warmed up and could have been one of the greats ... but we will never know now.
Consider the Crayfish, too?-)
 I've been having a few Crayfish syncs lately, which is why I was thinking of Wallace and his book that I read a few years ago.
Maybe I should read my other Wallace books now?
"Found in ponds and creeks, Crayfish, the smaller, freshwater brother of Lobster, goes about His business eating small aquatic creatures. 
Moving slowly, Crayfish is unconcerned because of His tail.
When threatened, Crayfish spreads the tail into a fan to form a broad blade. 
By flipping His tail in water, Crayfish can propel Himself backwards quickly. 
Going backwards, Crayfish faces the attacker waving His pincers. 
Crayfish teaches: be careful, not so laid-back that you get caught and eaten."
Scott Alexander King in his book Animal Dreaming says the Crayfish is 
"potent symbol of productiveness, legend has it that the Crayfish helped Spirit in the re-creation of Mother Earth by bringing mud up from the depth of the Great Flood."
Crayfish's Wisdom Includes:
Diversity
Ease in Your Surroundings
Harmony with Your Circumstances
Protection
Learning to Observe
Fearlessness
My advice is to consider his work.
David was a deep thinker.

No comments:

Post a Comment