Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

January 31, 2018

Taking the Red Pill?

I liked this talk (above) Dr. Beitman had with Joe Cambray, Ph.D, a former president of the C.G. Jung Institute of Boston.
They talked about the coincidences Sir Alexander Fleming ran into developing the world's first antibiotic substance benzylpenicillin (Penicillin G) from the mould Penicillium notatum in 1928, for which Sir Alexander shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1945 with Howard Florey and Ernst Boris Chain.
While I found it all interesting, ironically, I'm allergic to penicillin to the point that it could kill me.
When I was a child I was given penicillin and broke out in a massive red rash like the kid pictured below.
A boy who is allergic to penicillin, like me
I was playing squash at the time I realized something was wrong and remembered seeing black dots on what normally should have been a white wall in front of me and looking down and seeing a 
red rash developing on my arms.
My heart was beating so wildly I could remember hearing the beat in my ears.
My mother took me back to the doctors and he just laughed and said to my mother he's allergic to penicillin, lucky he didn't die on the squash court, he'll have to remember never to take penicillin again.
I haven't forgot what that pill can do to me, either.
So, while penicillin was an important discovery for the world's population, for people like me taking that pill could prove a deadly mistake.
Or at least a bite out of a mouldy sandwich;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment