Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

March 19, 2018

Mother?

"In World War II, the most common thing the wounded said as they lay dying on the battlefield was "mother"." 
From 'Draw Your Weapons' a book by Sarah Sentilles.
When I read that line in Sarah's book it made me think of all of those old "Mother" tattoos that you would see on the arms of tough sailors, like Popeye.
It kind of makes more sense to me now that a tattoo like that really comes from some place deep in the subconscious to want to have the word "Mother" tattooed on your skin.
Of course, these days sailors aren't the only ones getting "Mom/Mum" tattoos.
It's no wonder that mother figures are so popular in world religions, mythology and art.
I keep a statue of the Virgin Mary on my fridge, not that I'm of a religious devotional bent, but more for nostalgic reasons, as my Nan who was a Roman Catholic had these statues all around her house.
"In 1678, Swiss military physicians used the term "nostalgia" - a word made of the Greek root words for "return home" and "pain" - to describe the condition characterized by soldiers' melancho(r?)ly." 
Reminds me of the post I wrote about the tattoos that convicts would get before coming to Australia -

Tattoos and Tokens of Hope and Hopelessness
"I want to go home, my grandfather said when he was dying of Alzheimer's.
Vera, he said, calling out for my grandmother, who had been dead for years."
From 'Draw Your Weapons' a book by Sarah Sentilles.
I guess some things are etched more deeply into our minds than onto our skin.
Synchronicity, 42 and Owls?
Personally, I don't need tattoos to prove to the world that I love my mum and dad, but whatever floats your boat, I guess;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment