Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

March 24, 2018

A Powerhouse Performance from DeAnne Smith

I got to see DeAnne Smith last Thursday night play the Powerhouse in my hometown of Brisbane through a series of fortuitous events in my life.
The main entrance to the Powerhouse venue in Brisbane 
The Powerhouse entrance on Thursday night
First of all, I had never heard of DeAnne Smith until I heard her being interviewed on Kelly MacLean's
'The Tao of Comedy' podcast show.
The Tao of Comedy: DeAnne Smith
"DeAnne Smith (HBO’s Funny As Hell) and Kelly try to figure out if the universe is really speaking to them or if they’re just ego-maniacs and then tell you why it sucks to lose a loved one in the digital age."
Death and Comedy?
I really liked Kelly's interview with DeAnne, as DeAnne sounds like she is into synchronicity (whether she realizes it, or not) and other woo-woo things, like I am.
So I looked up a few You Tubes of DeAnne performing her comedy routines and I was sold.
I vowed to keep an eye out for DeAnne if she came to Brisbane.
Luckily for me I went for a walk around the city just after watching the Oscars live at the Elizabeth Cinemas -
HARP On oPRAH?-)
and in-between returning to watch 'The Black Pantherat the same cinema and I found a printed program for the
'Brisbane Comedy Festival' featuring DeAnne Smith's show 
'Worth It'.
I thought I had missed the boat though, because the comedy festival had already started when I found out about DeAnne being on the bill, so I figured her shows would be sold out, since the theatre DeAnne was playing in at the Powerhouse was one of the smallest ones.
DeAnne on stage at the Powerhouse last Thursday night
I thought the odds of me getting tickets now were slim to none, but I got onto the Powerhouse website and there were about six tickets left for the Thursday night show, so I placed two tickets on hold for the five minutes the website gave me and phoned my eldest son to see if he wanted to go.
He said, "yeah sure ... but who's DeAnne Smith?"
So I told him to look her work up on You Tube.
He works in the city, so he said that he would meet me there on the night.
Normally, I don't worry about the parking at the Powerhouse, because if the car-park at the Powerhouse is full I usually park my car in New Farm Park.
But after seeing this news story above about a drug-fueled maniac demolishing eight cars on a recent Sunday afternoon, there was no way I was going to park my car there at night with this dickhead still on the loose, because the cops let him go.
WTF?
I do mostly feel safe in my hometown and was having a bit of a laugh when I heard Dean Radin on a recent podcast saying how safe he felt walking around the streets of Brisbane -
Mind Meld 100 | An Ocean of Meaning with Dr. Dean Radin
He is right in a way, but nowhere on earth is really safe when it comes to crime or unfortunate accidents happening to you ... that's just life on earth I'm afraid. 
That sculpture is meant to read "flood", because it's in a flood zone:-)
 So I got to the Powerhouse well earlier than the show start time to get a car parking spot and then grabbed a beer from the bar and sat down at the back of the Powerhouse and watched the river and its inhabitants float by me.
Check that house out across the river from the Powerhouse
I couldn't work out why DeAnne wasn't on in the bigger theatre where a comedian I hadn't heard of named Urzila Carlson was playing on the night.
The next day, Friday, Urzila was on the 'Conversations' show and I got to listen to just who she was and all about the crime in 
South Africa she experienced while living there -
Urzila Carlson: a life without regrets
So Brisbane does seem rather safe compared to South Africa after listening to Urzila on the ABC radio show and I have no plans of ever going to SA ... not that I did anyway.
I just think listening to Urzila talk is amusing with that weird mix of a blended South African/New Zealander accent.
I've never heard that mix before, so paying for a ticket to her show might be worth it for that amusement alone;-)
Anyway, me and my son had a good night out on Thursday thanks to Kelly for bringing DeAnne on to my radar.
Plus my car didn't get rammed by a drug fueled maniac, nor did we run into any crime on our travels on Thursday.
And when I left the Powerhouse I wondered if that outside bar at the Powerhouse was for all of those sheep-lovin' New Zealanders who had come to see Urzila Carlson on the night?
Bar-bar-ha-ha:-)
Which way to the Powerhouse Ha Ha Bar?-)

3 comments:

  1. Interesting interview with DeAnne. Never heard of her, but she's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, she's up there with the best in the comedy world I reckon and as us Aussies would say, she is bloody funny, too.
    And if you had of seen her show the other night then "bloody funny" would even have more meanings attached to those words;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody funny alright...love the fairybread jokes! Thanks for the giggles:)
    P.s Urzila is ok..not nearly as good as DeAnne but funny.

    ReplyDelete